Founded in 1967, Rana Ijaz & Partners, formerly Rana Law Chambers, provides legal assistance in connection with legal due diligence, contracts, business incorporation, intellectual property, commercial litigation and domestic and international arbitration.
For the past 10 years in a row, our firm has been recommended by the Legal 500 as one of Pakistan’s leading law firms. The combination of our lawyers’ local and international experience enables our firm to have a deeper understanding of the requirements and objectives of our international clients and offer strategic legal advice on relevant issues and devise effective legal strategies in connection with both domestic and international litigation and arbitration.
The firm’s broad base of predominantly international clients includes international banks and corporations seeking legal advice on doing business in Pakistan as well as local and international companies that are being advised and represented on an ongoing basis in connection with their business operations and legal proceedings in Pakistan.
Areas of Expertise
Recent work highlights (This can be expanded once someone clicks on it). Or do you suggest we just list these highlights as is?
- Acting as co-counsel for two leading distributors/suppliers of electronics in two international arbitration cases filed against one of the world’s largest multinational conglomerates.
- Advising and representing a client in connection with a civil suit filed against it in District Court, Islamabad, for recovery of approximately USD 21 million. In view of the international arbitration clauses in the distribution agreements between the parties, our firm is challenging the jurisdiction of the court and seeking a stay of the proceedings under the Recognition and Enforcement (Arbitration Agreements and Foreign Arbitral Awards) Act 2011.
Recent work highlights
- Advising and representing a globally recognized manufacturer of cosmetics in connection with a civil suit filed against them in Civil Court, Lahore, for recovery of approximately USD 3 million. In view of the dispute resolution clause conferring exclusive jurisdiction on courts in Germany, our firm is challenging the jurisdiction of the court and seeking dismissal of the suit.
- Representing a UAE-based conglomerate in three commercial cases in connection with recovery of over US$ 800,000 for consignments of corrugated cartons delivered to companies in Pakistan.
- Representing a Kuwait-based technology company, through its subsidiary in Pakistan, in a civil litigation matter in connection with a payment dispute with a telecommunications company operating in Pakistan. The total amount claimed in the suit and counter-suit is over US$ 12 million.
Recent work highlights
- Reviewed and advised on agreements including shareholders agreement, loan agreement and transaction agreement in connection with an acquisition of a Pakistani oil company’s shares by an international entity in Dubai. The transaction amount is approximately USD 5 million.
- Reviewed and advised on shareholders agreements and asset sale agreement in connection with a real estate development project Involving construction of an apartment building in Lahore. The project/transaction value is approximately USD 2.3 million
- Advised a global entity on whether a company incorporated outside Pakistan generating an insubstantial revenue amount in Pakistan is required to comply with any applicable merger laws of Pakistan if it is acquiring another foreign company that is generating no revenue in Pakistan. The total value of the global acquisition was approximately USD 36 million.